Thursday 19 September 2013

Wilko Johnson recording farewell album with Roger Daltrey

Terminally ill Wilko Johnson is set to spend his final days recording an album with Roger Daltrey.

Former Dr Feelgood guitarist Wilko, 66, set out on a farewell tour in the spring after being diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. Ill health prevented him from performing the final two shows in Canvey Island, Essex, where he was born.

He decided to team up with The Who’s Daltrey after the pair met at an awards ­ceremony this month.

Wilko said: “They did tell me in January I’d be dead in October, but I may last into next year. I hope we’ll have something done before I go.

“There are a few more things I want to record. I wrote some songs right after getting this diagnosis. It won’t be morbid, though. I can’t have any truck with that. The music I want to continue to make, I think, generally should be a laugh not a cry. So there’s not going to be any cancer dirges.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Detail Magazine - Issue 12 Out Now!

  The Spring issue of Detail - features on Dee C Lee, Gabicci, Ted Carroll, Eddie Piller, Jimmy Smith, Tim Vickery, Tony Briggs, Paul Smiler...