Friday 9 May 2014

Fifty years on and one-time Mod gets his hands on Lambretta scooter once more


He gave up his beloved scooter to buy a family car in 1968... but 50 years on, Paul Proudfoot has got his hands back on a 1960s Lambretta scooter.

The newly retired grandfather is looking forward to reliving his youth during his newfound spare time, after colleagues rewarded his half a century of service with a replica of the scooter he owned as a teenaged mod.

Paul was the longest standing member of staff at Bridgend-based Jehu Group when he retired recently after 50 years, and colleagues at the construction firm knew the usual carriage clock and silver plated pen was not going to cut it as a fitting parting gift.

Instead, they plotted with the 65-year-old’s wife Mary to get their hands on a Lambretta 1965 LA 150 Special scooter; a machine he had previously owned aged 17.

He gave it up in 1968, four years after he followed in his father’s footsteps to join the company as a 15-year-old apprentice carpenter.

Paul, who retired on his recent birthday, said: “I have had a fantastic career at Jehu Group and am honoured to have worked for such a great family company.

“Even aged 15, I could see how much my father enjoyed working for Jack Jehu, the company’s founder, and I have never regretted my decision to join the business.

“I now consider many of my colleagues to be friends and have even completed work on both Marc and Simon Jehu’s houses. My present is fantastic and shows how well the team know me. I sold my scooter when I got married and it’s always been a dream of mine to own one again.

“I was over the moon when they gave it to me because I never thought I’d own one again. I’ve been looking on eBay and even for the rusted wrecks you’re looking at about £1,500. You’ve then got to find about £3,000 to do it up.

“But they got me a 1965 model and it’s in really good condition. I’ve already bought all the chrome stuff like I used to have in the 60s.

“I’ll be the oldest mod in town and I’m looking forward to reliving my youth.”

The grandfather of five, who worked his way up through the ranks of the family firm and eventually settling on his role as a working foreman, has led his team to build some of the largest project sites across South Wales during his five decades at the company.

Now retired, he and Mary plan to travel to the Caribbean to visit their daughter Anna who is a master scuba diver trainer, and have also booked a family holiday to Egypt.

They also plan on attending music concerts throughout the summer - and hitting the open road once all his chores at his home in Fulmar Road, Nottage, are complete.

“I wasn’t involved in all the mods and rockers trouble when I had the scooter the first time round,” added Paul. “But there was a group of about 30 of us who used to meet from Bridgend and Porthcawl and hang around the prom with our scooters.

“I doubt many of them will have scooters these days - the one boy I am still in touch with moved on to fishing boats.

“But with the summer coming, I’m looking forward to going out to Porthcawl and around Cornelly and Pyle, once I’ve got my orders from Mary out of the way of course.

“I’ll really miss everybody at the company, but I am looking forward to spending more time with my wife and five grandchildren.”

Rene Jehu, Jehu Group chairman and director, said: “I’ve known Paul since I was 15 and he is an absolute pleasure to work with.

“He’s always been highly regarded by the team.

“He’s always taken great pride in his work and is such a perfectionist. Paul is always able to see the bigger picture and has always gone that one step further to ensure projects are a success.

“When we were teenagers, Paul was a fan of rock band, The Who and liked to copy the band’s image. We thought a scooter would be a fitting present as it’s something we knew he wanted for a while.

“He is a great guy who will be sorely missed by all at Jehu Group. We will especially miss his fantastic sense of humour.”

No comments:

Post a Comment