Wednesday 14 May 2014

Paul Orwell Exclusive Premiere! via Fred Perry Subculture


London Troubadour Paul Orwell, whilst embarking on his journey back to 1964, has just unveiled his brand new video for the storming track 'Tell Me Tell Me', which you can view exclusively on Fred Perry Subculture.

'Tell Me Tell Me' includes Paul's trademark vintage sounds with panoramic overtones and beat riffs, and is currently in the process of being made into a limited vinyl release. The video was filmed in a retro hair salon.

Paul Orwell has answered a few questions ahead of his show at The Cavern Club in Liverpool on Friday night, which you can read below....

When did you first start playing music?
Around the age of 13 was when I first picked up a guitar. I haven't put it down since!

How would you describe your sound?
Hard for me to describe my own sound, some people say "moody mod" or "sinister sixties", I'll go with that.

Who did you grow up listening to, and do you associate with any subcultures?
The first thing that really turned me on to music was The Beatles' Anthologies, then from that I listened to what they listened to; Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent, etc. The first thing I learnt to play was Peggy Sue. Now I'm really into obscure 60s b'sides - I love finding an unheard classic! You could put an old 45 on and think to yourself… "I'm the only person in the world listening to this right now!" - it's a great feeling!

What influences you, other than music?
Heaven & Hell, and all that's in-between.

Tell us about your new track 'Tell Me Tell Me'.
It's a catchy upbeat number. I like songs that have a happy, poppy edge, but with darker meaning underneath. I think it works well.

What new music are you listening to at the moment?
Hmmm, hard one! As people who know me know, I don't really listen to much after 1972! At the moment all I'm playing is Jacques Dutronc, Otis Redding and Syd Barrett, so that doesn't really answer the question...

Who are your biggest style Icons?
Brian Jones always looked the Part! George Harrison too.

If you could have any artist cover you, dead or alive who would it be?
John Lennon, or Jimi Hendrix. It would have been a dream come true to hear any Motown or Stax performer do a cover also.

No comments:

Post a Comment